Thursday, September 1, 2011

Reading Reflection

   Harste (2003) has made a stand about he feels reading and language have an effect on children and our future. I agree when he says, "you do very little to help students understand how language works." I agree! Guilty as charged! When using other reading basals, the emphasis is on the skills perspective of reading. And I agree a bit. But what I am understanding Harste to say is that we need to move into a language experience approach to teaching literacy. I agree but I am a creature of habit. I think phonics are extremely important and its hard not to teach in isolation of other reading skills. I will learn to roll and adjust for the better of my students' learning.
   As I am reading Riddle (2009), I am questioning my ability to "raise" children that are that competent, inspiring, and well-knowledgeable enough to complete these multi-task, multi-modal deep thinking, technology driven projects. I certainly want to!! All children...100%...engaged! They are deep thinkers! They are creators! They are authors! It's become more about visual literacy to express their understanding rather than the boring written products we previously asked for.

No comments:

Post a Comment