Sunday, September 18, 2011

Data Walls

One of the ideas I wrote in my inspiration journal was ... data walls. They have really started to interest me ever since I read the research on 90/90/90 schools. One of the components to creating a successful school is data walls. I am learning more about them as I go. Some articles say to post them in the classroom; some say they should be private. I just don't know what to think. I see both sides to the stories. On one hand, children see where they are and where they want to be. On the other hand, if a child is low, they don't see how far behind they are in comparison to where they need to be or the other classmates are. Also, I read that they should be updated weekly. How is that possible when the same skills aren't taught each week? This is something I will continue to research but what do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I post my data walls in the classroom and use codes instead of names. I've noticed that the students will tell their classmates their codes. Most of them don't seem too concerned about comparisons. As for charting weekly, I try to do this (we are required to do weekly assessments and put them on the wall) but I often feel like I'm comparing apples and oranges. I'm not sure what the right way to things is going to be.

    ReplyDelete