Thursday, June 30, 2011

What I Have Learned

I have learned so much about integrated teaching! It makes so much more sense to teach this way and it's a way that we can also combine our time to teach more information. I have really enjoyed the Harvey and Daniels book. I plan to read more into certain chapters so that I fully understand and retain the information. For instance, chapter four about small group activites. After reading Chapter Six, I felt kinda bad because I reflected on my own teaching practices and I do not include as many authentic learning experiences as I should. Then I was inspired! I have already begun planning to implement lessons that I have read about. For instance, Schell and Fisher (2007) discuss "Real World Teaching and Learning" in chapter 8 of their book titled "Teaching Social Studies: A Literature Based Approach." This goes hand in hand with authentic learning experiences. I realize why children aren't getting some concepts I taugt...because I did not let them be involoved in problem solving in a real world situation. I did appreciate the reminder that we are only one person and under budget constraints but we must still provide "students with activies that have relevance and meaning built right in, whether they occur inside or outside of the classroom" (Daniels and Bizar, 2005, p. 146).  More to come! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment