Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Addressing the Arts in the General Education Classroom

This is a huge concern for me! I am not that artistic which makes this a very uncomfortable area in my teaching expertise. It is essential for children to have exposure to and master the arts curriculum. Since we do not have an Arts teacher at our school, it is especially important for me to integrate the Arts into my classroom lesson plans. I love to use art to activate prior knowledge. For instance, in Language Arts I sometimes allow children to express their prior knowledge about a topic by drawing an image of it and inviting the children to share their thoughts and ideas. This helps when introducing an abstract topic. I used this when we taught the story, Akiak, A Tale from the Iditarod. Knowing my children were probably not familiar with the Iditarod, I asked the children to draw a picture of the longest trip they have ever taken. While drawing, be sure to include the weather, things you saw, etc. After children shared, I asked them think of how their trip would be if it were extremely cold, on foot etc. Children were able to visualize better what the Iditarod would be like now they were in the mindset of traveling. It was wonderful because I could see several, "Ahah!" moments. :)  Other times, I give children choice activities to encourage them to use their talents to share their mastery of a subject. For instance, children can choose to write a poem, create a song, draw an image with a caption, or write a story displaying their gained knowledge. Children love the choice and the opportunity to express themselves in different ways. This strategy is also very effective in differentiating my instruction for the different levels of students in my class. Also, children tend to stay more focused during the presentation of products since there is a variety of things to see and hear. My goal is to use the Arts even more effectively in my classroom after completing this course.

6 comments:

  1. I like how you give your students "choice activities". I think that's a great idea! I'm sure it's really interesting to see what each child chooses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Crystal, I'm loving the emphasis you give on student choice. It encourages your students to develop their interests and talents, but it also gives them a sense of control.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Choice" activities - what a great idea! And anything that helps them stay focused and motivated is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to give students choice and to include art as a choice. Some students are good writers, drawers or better at reading and answering questions. Allowing students to choose gives them the opportunity to express themselves and to find the learning relative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think creativity is so important, yet so laking in many classes. Students need to be able to use their creativity to express their understanding of the information they have learned and also just enjoy themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe you don't have Art at your school, has it always been that way? I slacked on the art this year, well the 3 months I was teaching. I did let the students make the decorations for our end of the year Hawaiian party. However, next year I plan to do a better job integrating the arts.

    ReplyDelete